Takeaways and Notes
- The defense is for real. You had to wonder how good the defense was considering it had played the worst offenses in the Big 12. They proved it was not a mirage as they held the top Big 12 offense to 17 points and 363 total yards. You take away one big 54 yard run and they held the Longhorns to 125 yards rushing (3.5 YPC) and 309 total yards (4.68 YPP).
- The offense continues to be the team’s worst enemy. The opportunities were there. On the first drive of the game, Jarrett Doege hit Winston Wright, Jr. on a long ball that set up a Leddie Brown score. Yet, later on in the game, he couldn’t gain possession of the ball in the endzone soon enough and was ruled incomplete.
- Doege finished with 317 yards passing, his third straight 300-yard game.
- The run game was non-existent and averaged less than 2 yards per carry.
- TJ Simmons had his best game since Oklahoma State Cowboys, catching 4 passes for 71 yards.
- Sam Ehlinger completed only 50% of his passes, but two touchdowns.
Player of the Game
A home game against the TCU Horned Frogs before a much needed bye. The Mountaineers will take on their Big 12 companions next Saturday in Morgantown. The gametime to be announced this week.