Welcome to the Game Thread. Veterans of the Game Thread know how we do things around here but, for the uninitiated, we have a few rules. Our community guidelines apply and basically say be cool, no personal attacks, and don’t be a troll.
Date: Saturday, December 21, 2019
Time: 1:00PM ET
Location: Covelli Centre, Youngstown, Ohio
Channel: Today’s game will not be broadcast on TV or online streaming
Radio: Mountaineer Sports Network on IMG (Online Stream | Radio Affiliates)
Radio Announcers: Tony Caridi & Jay Jacobs
Betting Odds: West Virginia -12.5, 140.5 Total via VegasInsider.com
Reminder: It is against site policy to post links to illegal streams in the comments.
- West Virginia and Youngstown State will meet for the sixth time on the basketball court. West Virginia has won all five meetings in the series, including a 106-72 win in Morgantown last season. The first meeting in the series was on Jan. 10, 1942, a 50-40 win at the Mountaineer Field House.
- West Virginia moved back in the AP poll this week with a No. 25 ranking. West Virginia has now been ranked at least one week in 10 of Bob Huggins’ 13 seasons at WVU. The Mountaineers have been ranked 100 weeks in the AP poll under Bob Huggins, including 37 weeks in the AP Top 10. Huggins has had WVU ranked more weeks than any other coach in school history.
- In the first NET rankings released this week by the NCAA, WVU checked in at No. 12 with a No. 9 strength of schedule.
- In the latest NCAA statistics, WVU ranks fifth in offensive rebounds per game (15.0), fourth in 3-point FG% defense (24.0), 11th in FG% defense (36.2) and ninth in rebounds per game (43.2).
- Derek Culver (9.6) and Oscar Tshiebwe (9.5) rank first and second, respectively, in Big 12 Conference rebounding.
West Virginia Mountaineers: Emmitt Matthews Jr., Oscar Tshiebwe, Derek Culver, Jermaine Haley and Jordan McCabe
Youngstown State Penguins: Michael Akuchie, Naz Bohannon, Darius Quisenberry, Donel Cathcart III and Garrett Covington
PREGAME READING & UPDATES
Follow along with us on Twitter @smokingmusket for running commentary.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION!
Find a warm, comfortable spot, grab a favorite beverage or threeve, and join in on the running commentary, random observations, silly images, gifs, snark, wit, bitches, complaints, moans, groans, cheers, celebration and jubilation in the comments section below.
And, as always...