Welcome to the 2019 Early Signing Period for the Class of 2020!
We’re kicking things off bright and early today, as the top high school and junior college athletes across the country make their commitments official. The faxes are being dusted off, Twitter is fired up and probably already rocking with rumors and breaking news.
Neal Brown and the West Virginia Mountaineers coaching staff will be signing 16-20 kids for their first official class today, and have put in the work to close strong on some previously uncommitted prospects. Obviously, West Virginia has plenty of holes to fill on the roster, so what we see today is just the beginning of Coach Brown putting the pieces together to rebuild a program that has been heavily impacted by attrition.
Think of this article as homebase for signing day coverage, and check back frequently for updates, news, and fresh links. In addition to the live coverage, please consider this your OPEN THREAD to talk about everything Early Signing period in the comments!
We’ve broken this Early Signing Period Command Center into 2 sections below:
- Early Signing Period News: This is where we’ll continuously put any big news, rumors, or important tidbits. Just like the Big Board, this will be updated all day and will include links to new articles about Early Signing Period topics.
- Big Board: This section shows which verbal commits have already signed, who we’re still waiting on, and notes about anyone of interest that may have signed with someone other than the Mountaineers. We’ll be keeping it up to date all day and you’ll be able to find links to our commitment capsules for each signee.
If work is keeping you from staying glued to The Smoking Musket today, be sure to follow us on Twitter or our Facebook page. When a story goes on the site it’ll be tweeted out and we’ll get it on Facebook too. If you’re tight on time, I’d suggest following along on Facebook for the most straight forward information. If you’re joining us on Twitter, and already follow us, I’m sure you know we have a tendency to go a little off the rails
Early Signing Period News
News is in reverse chronological order. All times listed below are Eastern Time, as God intended.
- 8:15PM: The Mountaineers go 2-for-3 on signing day surprises, as Lakevias Daniel has committed to Ole Miss over West Virginia and Louisville. That’ll do it for Early Signing Period. Stay tuned for continuing coverage as we head into National Signing Day in February.
- 3:20PM: Quay Mays has sent his LOI in, and that wraps up Early Signing Period for the Mountaineers barring any surprises from a certain cornerback later this evening.
- 2:50PM: West Virginia picked up another HUGE signing day surprise. Wide receiver Sam Brown picked the Mountaineers over the Florida Gators, and has sent in his LOI. LFG!
- 12:43PM: After a little bit of a break there, we’re back in action. Jairo Faverus has sent his LOI in, and is officially a Mountaineer. Just waiting on a couple more that were previously committed, and there may be a few surprises coming down the pike.
- 9:50AM: Akheem Mesidor is in! The job Neal Brown and his staff did to close this one is amazing. Big time signing for the Mountaineers.
- 9:20AM: Sean Martin is in! Neal Brown has stuck to his promise, and has kept the top Division I in-state prospects at home with West Virginia
- 9:00AM: West Virginia just got their first Signing Day commitment of the day. Akheem Mesidor has committed to the Mountaineers, according to his high school. We’ll still need his Letter of Intent to make it official.
Congratulations @CAIKnightsFB Early Signee Class!@Akheem_Mes: West Virginia University@TyrellLawrence_: University of Minnesota— Knights Sports Network (@network_knights) December 18, 2019
Ajou Ajou: Clemson University@Geri_Theo: University of Toledo
An even bigger signing class coming in February pic.twitter.com/JBgmAChZ7i
- 8:50AM: It was never in doubt, but Garrett Greene is in! Neal Brown has his quarterback for the 2020 class.
- 8:30AM: Filing this away under Least Surprising News Ever. Former Mountaineer JoVanni Stewart is reuniting with Dana Holgorsen at Houston.
- 8:15AM: David Vincent-Okoli has made his commitment to West Virginia official. There were reports that Maryland attempted to sway his decision late, but the four-star corner has been solid all along.
- 7:30AM: The first three signings are in!
- 7:00AM: The faxes have been pulled out of the closets and are ready for the National Letters of Intent to come rolling in!
- 1:45AM: Merry Crootmas, everyone! See ya in a few hours.
The Big Board
Signed With West Virginia
- Zach Frazier, Offensive Lineman
- Reese Smith, Wide Receiver
- Charles Finley, Tight End
- Jordan White, Offensive Lineman
- Taurus Simmons, Bandit
- Daryl Porter, Jr., Cornerback
- David Vincent-Okoli, Cornerback
- Jackie Matthews, Cornerback
- Chris Mayo, Offensive Lineman
- Garrett Greene, Quarterback
- Lanell Carr, Linebacker
- Sean Martin, Defensive Lineman
- Tairiq Stewart, Offensive Lineman
- Akheem Mesidor, Defensive Lineman
- Jairo Faverus, Cornerback
- Devell Washington, Wide Receiver
- Sam Brown, Wide Receiver
- Quay Mays, Defensive Lineman
Committed, But Expected To Sign In February
- Jacob Gamble, Offensive Lineman
- Justin Jackson, Defensive Lineman — Signed with Colorado
- Lakevias Daniel, Cornerback — Signed with Ole Miss