Big 12 Media Days kicked off earlier today and - as is the custom - the members released the first version of their depth chart as they get ready to head into Fall training camp.
It’s important to understand that this depth chart means very little in terms of what the actual depth chart will look like when the West Virginia Mountaineers kickoff the season against the Tennessee Volunteers in Charlotte on September 1st. They do, however, provide a little bit of insight on possible position changes and things of that nature when compared to the Spring depth chart released back in March.
Most notable changes:
- Alec Sinkfield still holds the RB3 slot, while Tevin Bush - who was slotted in as WR(H)2 in the spring - is missing from the depth chart entirely. This could be a case of Bush not having a true position, and the staff expects to use him in a combination of roles.
- The WR(H) position that was listed on the spring depth chart is now listed as TE(H) with Trevon Wesco and Jovani Haskins manning that slot. The coaching staff has been very adamant about using the tight end in a more prominent role in 2018, so this makes sense.
- 6’5” receiver Dominique Maiden is listed as the backup to TJ Simmons at the WR (Z) position. That spot was held by Reggie Roberson in the Spring.
- Matt Jones and Jacob Buccigrossi may find themselves in a position battle when camp begins. Jones was previously listed as the starter, but has apparently been supplanted by Buccigrossi.
- While they’re enrolled and on-campus, Mike and Joe Brown are both missing from the two-deep for the time being. I’d expect at least one, if not both, of them to crack the depth chart by the end of camp.
- David Sills is listed as the backup punt returner and this scares the bejeezus out of me because I don’t want our best receiver getting broken in half while trying to field a punt.
West Virginia Pre-Fall Camp Depth Chart
|David Sills V
|William Crest Jr.