When, Where, and How To Watch
Date: Friday, March 23rd, 2018
Tip-Off Time: 7:27 PM ET
Where: TD Garden Arena, Boston, Massachusetts
- This will be the 43rd meeting between the West Virginia Mountaineers and Villanova Wildcats, with the Wildcats holding a 22-20 lead dating back to 1956. The two schools were former members of the Eastern 8 (Atlantic 10) and the Big East Conference, and last met on December 28, 2011 in Morgantown, an 83-69 WVU win.
- Against Marshall, Jevon Carter became the fifth player in NCAA history to score 28 points, generate five steals and hand out five assists in an NCAA Tournament game. Carter and Jerry West are the only two WVU players to score 20 or more points in four NCAA Tournament games.
- Jevon Carter and Daxter Miles Jr. are the sixth and seventh Mountaineers to play in four NCAA Tournaments. The others are John Flowers, Cam Thoroughman, Jonnie West, Darryl Bryant and Kevin Jones.
- Jevon Carter was named the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year for the second year in a row. He became the fourth Big 12 Player (first guard) to win Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year honors twice.
- Carter was named to the Big 12 All-Defensive Team for the fourth consecutive year, joining Purdue’s Chris Kramer (2007-10) and Ohio State’s Aaron Craft (2011-14) as the only major conference players to do so.
- Carter was a unanimous selection to the All-Big 12 First Team, while Sagaba Konate was named to the All-Big 12 Third Team and Big 12 All-Defensive Team.
- The Mountaineers own a 1,756-1,078 all-time record in intercollegiate basketball competition, ranking the Mountaineers 22nd in wins among all Division I schools.
- Carter was named CoSIDA Academic All-American of the Year for men’s basketball in 2017-18.
- Sagaba Konate has already posted 113 blocks this season. He had 53 his entire freshman season a year ago. Konate has had at least five blocks in nine games this season, one of three players nationally to complete that feat.
- VegasInsider.com has Villanova as a 5 point favorite, with the over set at 153 total points.
Join The Conversation!
Find a warm, comfortable spot, grab a favorite beverage or threeve, and join in on the running commentary, random observations, silly images, gifs, snark, wit, bitches, complaints, moans, groans, cheers, celebration and jubilation in the comments section below.
And, as always...