When, Where, and How To Watch
Date: Sunday, March 18th, 2018
Tip-Off Time: Approx. 9:40 PM ET
Where: Viejas Arena at Aztec Bowl, San Diego, California
- This will be the 45th meeting between the West Virginia Mountaineers and the Marshall Thundering Herd, a series that began in 1929. West Virginia holds a 33-11 series advantage and has won the last five meetings and nine of the last 10. The Mountaineers won 86-68 on Dec. 17, 2015 in Charleston, W.Va, which was the last time these two teams played each other.
- WVU is one of nine schools to win 25 or more games four straight years. WVU is 104-38 since the 2014-15 season. The last time West Virginia won 25 or more games in four consecutive years was from 1957 to 1960.
- WVU has reached the Sweet 16 in seven of its last 11 NCAA appearances (2017, 2015, 2010, 2008, 2006, 2005 and 1998)
- Jevon Carter and Daxter Miles Jr. are the sixth and seventh Mountaineers to play in four NCAA Tournaments. The others are John Flowers, Cam Thoroughman, Jonnie West, Darryl Bryant and Kevin Jones.
- Jevon Carter was named the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year for the second year in a row. He became the fourth Big 12 Player (first guard) to win Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year honors twice.
- Carter was named to the Big 12 All-Defensive Team for the fourth consecutive year, joining Purdue’s Chris Kramer (2007-10) and Ohio State’s Aaron Craft (2011-14) as the only major conference players to do so.
- Carter was a unanimous selection to the All-Big 12 First Team, while Sagaba Konate was named to the All-Big 12 Third Team and Big 12 All-Defensive Team.
- West Virginia has recorded its 32nd 20-win season in school history. Bob Huggins has 29 20-win seasons (8 at WVU) in 36 seasons.
- Carter was named CoSIDA Academic All-American of the Year for men’s basketball in 2017-18.
- Sagaba Konate has already posted 112 blocks this season. He had 53 his entire freshman season a year ago. Konate has had at least five blocks in nine games this season, one of three players nationally to complete that feat.
- VegasInsider.com has West Virginia as a 12 point favorite, with the over set at 159.5 total points.
Join The Conversation!
Find a warm, comfortable spot, grab a favorite beverage or threeve, and join in on the running commentary, random observations, silly images, gifs, snark, wit, bitches, complaints, moans, groans, cheers, celebration and jubilation in the comments section below.
And, as always...