The West Virginia Mountaineers have an opportunity to return to the Sweet Sixteen, but an old Big East rival stands in their way. The Notre Dame Fighting Irish present a unique challenge for Press Virginia, as they enter the game with the lowest turnover rate in the country. West Virginia enters leading the nation in forced turnovers. Something will have to give in this throwback to the Big East days.
When, Where, and How To Watch
When: Saturday, March 18, 2017, 12:10 p.m. ET
Where: KeyBank Center, Buffalo, NY
How to Watch: CBS or NCAA.com
- Notre Dame leads the all-time series with a 27-12 record. The Mountaineers last played the Irish in 2012, and suffered a humiliating 71-44 loss in South Bend.
- Five Mountaineers scored in double figures on Thursday against Bucknell, and West Virginia shot 45.5 percent from the field and 72.4 percent (21-for-29) from the free-throw line.
- The Fighting Irish shot just 40.4 percent from the field and 66.7 percent (14-for-21) from the free-throw line on Princeton, but they committed just six turnovers in the win.
- West Virginia enters the game averaging a nation-leading 20 forced turnovers per game. The Fighting Irish, on the other hand, lead the nation in turnovers committed, turning the ball over just nine times a game.
- Notre Dame is 7-0 when their opponents attempt at least 26 3-pointers. The Mountaineers attempt an average of 20 3’s per game.
- VegasInsider.com has West Virginia as the favorite at -2.5, with the over set at 145 total points.
Join The Conversation!
Find a warm, comfortable spot, grab a favorite beverage or threeve, and join in on the running commentary, random observations, silly images, gifs, snark, wit, bitches, complaints, moans, groans, cheers, celebration and jubilation in the comments section below.
And, as always...