2016 Big 12 Tournament Bracket
Game Day Vitals
- #4 West Virginia Mountaineers (36-21, 12-11, 3-0) vs. #3 TCU Horned Frogs (41-15, 15-9, 3-1)
- Location: Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- WVU defeated the Oklahoma Sooner 11-1 to advance to the Championship Game. TCU lost to Texas 2-1 in the first game of the Division 2 semi-finals. TCU then beat Texas 8-2 to advance to the Championship Game.
- Date: Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 2:00 PM EDT / 1:00 PM CDT
- This is a winner-take-all championship game.
- Live Streaming:
FoxSports Go & Big12Sports.comNo Stream Available
- Radio Affiliates: WVUSports.com Powered by leanStream
The Mountaineers have advanced to the Big 12 Championship Game for the first time since joining the Big 12. It is the first time the baseball team has advanced to a title game since the 1996 team when WVU still played in the Big East. The 1996 team would make the NCAA tournament.
TCU beat Texas 8-2 in the elimination game of the semi-finals of the Division 2 bracket. TCU has averaged over 8.5 runs a game in the Big 12 tournament, beating Baylor 12-5 in their opening game before beating Oklahoma State 13-5. TCU would lose to TCU 2-1 before beating the Longhorns 8-1 in the elimination game.
West Virginia has experience cooling a hot offense. The Mountaineer pitchers have only allowed 4 earned runs the entire tournament, blanking the Oklahoma Sooners 6-0 in their opening game before besting the #1 seeded Texas Tech Red Raiders 9-4. WVU would beat the Sooners again 11-1 in their semi-final game.
TCU is led by All Big-12 First Teamers, junior Elliot Barzilli and Freshman of the Year Luken Baker. The Mountaineers have been led by DH Kyle Davis, who is hitting 7-15 in the tournament and having a MVP caliber campaign.