Game Day Vitals
- #10 West Virginia Mountaineers (20-5, Big 12 9-3, NCAA RPI 11) vs. Texas Longhorns (16-9, Big 12 7-5, NCAA RPI 21)
- Series Record: Texas leads series 4-7
- Last meeting: WVU 49 UT 56, WVU Coliseum, Jan. 21, 2016
- Location: Frank Erwin Center (Capacity: 16,734), Austin, Texas
- Vegas Lines: (+2) for the good guys, O/U 137.5
- Date: Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016, 7:00 PM EST
- Television: ESPN2
- Online Streaming: WatchESPN
- Radio Affiliates
- Texas Longhorns (16-9, Big 12 7-5, NCAA RPI 21)
- Head Coach: Shaka Smart, First year at UT, career 179-65 (.734)
- Last Result - Lost away to #14 Iowa State 85-75
- Official Texas athletics website
- SBN Texas sites - Burnt Orange Nation and Barking Carnival
When the Longhorns came to the Coliseum in January, West Virginia could not have shot worse. Yes, both Jonathan Holton and Devin Williams both cashed in double-doubles, but 19-61 (31.1%) from the field, 3-21 (14.3%) from deep, and 8-23 (34.8%) from the line will not do it. The argument that WVU had just come off losing to OU on the road is a valid one. Javan Felix playing out of his mind didn't help either. The fact is that it was a combination of all of them. Even with WVU winning the rebounding battle 49-33, the Mountaineers cannot win ball games with Tarik going 1-5, Jaysean at 2-12, and Jevon Carter at 1-9. Not in the Big 12.
So, what's the plan for this game? Make your shots. Do exactly what you did in Morgantown except bring the shooting percentage up ten points. While that may be a little strong with WVU going 37.5% from the field against TCU, they at least made their foul shots (21-34, 61.8%). Forcing 26 turnovers don't hurt either, but that's the game West Virginia has to play. There's not much else to tell you gameplan wise.
Outside of that, we all know the importance behind this one. Kansas just destroyed Oklahoma State on Big Monday to take a half-game lead in the conference standings. The Mountaineers have to take care of business tonight to keep pace with the Jayhawks and I think they will. That spread is dumb.
.@coachhuggs announced today that Daxter Miles Jr. will miss the game at Texas with a strained right hamstring. His status is day-to-day.— WVU Men's Basketball (@WVUhoops) February 16, 2016
This changes things a bit. Is Jaysean starting now? More Teyvon Myers? Still think WVU will win, but the rotations are going to be interesting.
WVU 75 - Texas 69