Kansas State 24 (4-3, 2-2), Texas 21 (3-4, 1-3)
IF there was a glimmer of hope for Charlie Strong, this game extinguished it. The Wildcats, behind quarterback Jesse Ertz, jumped out to a 21-7 lead at halftime and held onto a 24-21 victory over the Texas Longhorns. Ertz ran for two scores and threw for another, out battled Texas freshman Shane Buechele who finished 16-of-24 for 222 yards. The Wildcats defense smothered the Longhorns, allowing only total yards. Texas only averaged 3.2 yards per rush.
Oklahoma State 44 (5-2, 3-1), Kansas 20 (1-6, 0-4)
Once again, a game that was close eventually ended up lopsided for Kansas. The Cowboys entered halftime up only 17-13 before pulling away in the third and fourth quarters. Not all things are rosy in Mike Gundy’s mullet world as the Cowboys allowed Kansas to run for 204 yards on 33 carries (6.2 YPC). Montell Cozart threw for 250 yards but also threw 2 more interceptions, giving him 6 on the season. Oklahoma State’s defense is very dependent on turnovers, collecting three against Kansas
Oklahoma 66 (5-2, 4-0), Texas Tech (3-4, 1-3)
I’m not recapping this game. This tweet from the Musket says it all.
☕ ☕ ☕ ☕ ☕ https://t.co/tsCj4clNxc— Smoking Musket (@SmokingMusket) October 23, 2016
Texas Tech has 415 yards of total offense against Oklahoma ... in the first half. Red Raiders lead Oklahoma 24–23.— SI College Football (@si_ncaafb) October 23, 2016
West Virginia held Texas Tech to 17 points and 300 yards. But that’s none of my business...right Jason Sehorn and Joey Galloway?
- West Virginia - Its not close anymore. Sorry my friends over at Our Daily Bears, but West Virginia has played two of the top offenses in the Big 12 and shut them down. They scored 34 against a Gary Patterson defense, even going on a 7 minute drive to start the third quarter just to kill their will. Its WVU and everyone else.
- Baylor - The Bears claim the #2 spot because they are undefeated. And even on a bye they looked better than the rest of the conference.
- Kansas State - I don’t care that Oklahoma is the only other team in conference contention. I’ll get to them later. Kansas State ensured that Charlie will not return. You do you Bill Snyder.
- Oklahoma State - Dispatching a pesky Kansas team by 24 points is a good day.
- Texas Tech - Don’t give me any lip that Patrick Mahomes wasn’t 100% last week. You don’t throw for 700 yards a week after an AC sprain.
- Kansas - The Jayhawks may actually win the AAC.
- Oklahoma - Dear Bob Stoops, Your brother is an awful defensive coordinator. Please continue to employ him for your tenure at Oklahoma. Sincerely, The Big 12.
- TCU - That was a bad performance. Not only that but when someone comes out and says “They wanted it more than we did and that’s why we got manhandled” that’s damning.
- Iowa State - Is it basketball season yet?
- Texas - Our Daily Bears have a habit of ranking their rivals, TCU, at #11 in their power rankings or not ranking them at all. TCU has a habit of excluding Baylor. I’m ranking Texas at #10 for the rest of the season. No questions asked.