The annual Gold/Blue Spring Football Game will be held at Milan Puskar Stadium on Saturday, April 25th at 1 pm ET. Tickets for the game are $10 and proceeds benefit the WVU Children's Hospital. The game will be televised on the following stations:
- WBOY (Clarksburg/Morgantown)
- WOWK (Charleston/Huntington)
- WTRF (Wheeling/Steubenville)
- WVNS (Beckley/Bluefield)
- WJAL (Chambersburg, PA for the Eastern Panhandle)
Fans will also be allowed to visit the Brohard Hall of Traditions for an hour following the game's conclusion.
The format of the game will be simply Offense vs. Defense. Standard scoring for the offense, with the defense getting points for stops, turnovers, sacks, etc.
In case you haven't heard, Coach Holgorsen has anointed Skyler Howard as the No. 1 quarterback...for now. So that pre-spring question mark has been (at least for the time being) settled. Here are a few things to watch for during the game:
- Can William Crest push Howard for the starting job by the end of August? A good showing here would definitely help his cause.
- Daikiel Shorts has been moved back to his original outside receiver position after spending the last few seasons on the inside. Can he replace Kevin White's production from a year ago?
- Will Shelton Gibson finally live up to his potential and be the breakout receiver we've always hoped he'd be?
- Can Jordan Thompson "be the man" on the inside (and not just a spring game wonder)?
- Will we see more of Wendell Smallwood lining up in the slot, like Charles Sims two seasons ago?
- Will the triumvirate of Rushel Shell, Smallwood and Dontae Thomas-Williams be as effective as the five man stable from a year ago?
- Who steps up on the Offensive Line to replace Mark Glowinski and Quinton Spain?
- Can the Defensive Line generate more pass rush than a year ago?
- How good can this linebacking corps and defensive backfield really be?
- Will the defense be able to generate more turnovers?
- Have we found a punt returner who can catch the ball?
You better enjoy this last bit of football while you can because this is all we'll get until September. Several of the Smoking Musket staff and friends will be tailgating in the Blue Lot area before the game, so stop by and see Smitty lose the 40 oz dash once again (#He'sGonnaPuke). We'll try to have our flag flying so you can find us.