File this in the way too early section of the 2014 season coverage, but the Golden Nugget just released betting lines for what they consider games of interest in the 2014 college football season. Our Mountaineers are listed 8 times:
If you don't want to search for the WVU games listed above, here ya go (spoiler alert: it ain't pretty):
- West Virginia Mountaineers at Alabama Crimson Tide (-27.5)
- Oklahoma Sooners (-17) at West Virginia Mountaineers
- West Virginia Mountaineers at Texas Tech Red Raiders (-10)
- Baylor Bears (-16) at West Virginia Mountaineers
- West Virginia Mountaineers at Oklahoma State Cowboys (-19)
- West Virginia Mountaineers at Texas Longhorns (-13)
- Kansas State Wildcats (-7.5) at West Virginia Mountaineers
- West Virginia Mountaineers PICK EM at Iowa State Cyclones
Based on the still uncertainty of the quarterback situation with Trickett still not 100% cleared and the history we've had so far in the Big 12, it's not unfounded. What does surprise me is that none are under a touchdown margin.
The eternal optimist in me thinks it'll be better. But I've also learned that it's very scary some of the lines that Vegas ends up publishing and how close they are a large majority of the time. All that I can say to that is...it's still very early.