Welcome, By-Godders, to the Shotgun/Throwdown, WVU's nationally recognized best place for sports links, information, sophomoric humor and daily distractions. We're being brought to you today by Sam Adams Octoberfest.
What You May Have Missed:
No. 9 Women's Soccer Set for Big 12 Matches - WVU Athletics
The No. 9-ranked West Virginia University women’s soccer team continues its four-match homestand this weekend with two conference games at Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium.
Men’s Soccer Travels to Hartwick - WVU Athletics
The West Virginia University men’s soccer team will jump back into Mid-American Conference play with a match at Hartwick on Friday, Oct. 11. Kickoff at Elmore Stadium is set for 7 p.m.
Kramer, Mountaineers look to bounce back against Iowa State - Daily Athenaeum
The West Virginia volleyball team will look to bounce back after its first home loss of the season to Baylor Wednesday night by traveling to take on Iowa State in Ames, Iowa, Saturday.
No. 5 Mountaineers face Nebraska in early conference action - Daily Athenaeum
The No. 5 West Virginia University rifle team travels to No. 9 Nebraska to compete against the Cornhuskers Saturday.
Bonsall has many 'firsts' - Martinsburg Journal
William A. "Bill" Bonsall not only is West Virginia's "Father of Gymnastics," but he also is the founder of the Mountain State's Special Olympics program for handicapped children.
Furfari: WVU game broadcasts exposure limited in state - Register-Herald
Mickey's butthurt again
News of Note:
Rest, recovery week for Mountaineers - Charleston Gazette
The bye week that West Virginia's football team owns this week couldn't have come at a better time.
Offensive inconsistencies dog Mountaineers - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
It's unfamiliar territory for Holgorsen, but it's not altogether unexpected.
Baylor loss shouldn’t influence WVU season - Daily Athenaeum
For most of this week, I’ve been hearing about how West Virginia may have a difficult season remaining based on what we saw Saturday night against Baylor.
Preview of this Week's Dana Holgorsen Show - WVillustrated
The Mountaineers may take a break this weekend from playing, but you can still get your full dose of West Virginia Football on The Dana Holgorsen Show!
Red Raiders' Kingsbury is cool and successful - Charleston Daily Mail
The opportunists in Lubbock, Texas, didn't need much time to stock their shelves with party favors celebrating Kliff Kingsbury's return to Texas Tech.
WVU Picked 7th in Preseason Poll - WVU Athletics
For just the third time in conference history, there is a tie at the top of the Big 12 preseason poll as Kansas and Oklahoma State have been picked to win the league regular season crown.
Huggins hoping his Mountaineers exceed low preseason expectations - Register-Herald
After a less than impressive Big 12 debut, not much is expected of Bob Huggins’ WVU basketball team as it prepares for its second trip through the league.
Henderson, West Virginia look to rebound from mediocre 13-19 season in 2013-14 - Daily Athenaeum
True sophomore Terry Henderson said he thinks this year’s West Virginia men’s basketball team actually has less talent than the Mountaineer team that finished 13-19 in 2012 and missed postseason basketball for the first time since coach Bob Huggins returned to his alma mater in 2007.
Browne Bouncing Back from "Terrible Year" for WVU - WVillustrated
Huggins talks about his junior guard and the strides he's made to improve after a down year for the Mountaineers.
Rams' Austin not frustrated by lack of production - AP/Charleston Daily Mail
Tavon Austin has little to show after the first five games of his rookie season with the St. Louis Rams. His best plays have been the ones that were called back
Around the League (and Beyond):
What's On Tap:
(12) Oklahoma Sooners vs. Texas Longhorns - Preview - ESPN
Noon Saturday from the Cotton Bowl on ABC. Land Thieves are giving 13.5.
Iowa State Cyclones vs. (20) Texas Tech Red Raiders - Preview - ESPN
Noon Saturday from Jones AT&T on FS1. Raiders are giving 14.
Kansas Jayhawks vs. TCU Horned Frogs - ESPN
Noon Saturday from Amon G. Carter on FSN affiliates. Frogs are giving 24.5.
(15) Baylor Bears vs. Kansas State Wildcats - Preview - ESPN
3:30 pm Saturday from Snyder Family Stadium on Fox. Bears are giving 17.5 (?!?!?!).
College Football TV Schedule
All times listed here are Central
Video of Interest:
Tailgate Recipe of the Week:
This one is more complicated and time consuming, so the off-week is a perfect opportunity to try it.
37-ingredient Five Alarm Chili
- 1 lb ground beef, lean
- 1 lb sage sausage (Jimmy Dean’s preferred)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (to brown meat with)
- 1 cans 16 oz dark kidney beans
- 1 cans 16 oz light kidney beans
- 1 16 oz. jar of chipotle salsa (medium)
- 1 small can of tomato paste (4-6 oz.)
- 10 sprigs (3 tbsp) of cilantro, stalks removed, finely chopped
- 2-3 stalks of celery, diced
- 1-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-3 carrots, diced
- 1 sweet onion, medium-sized, diced
- 1 small can sliced or chopped olives (6-8 oz)
- 1 package of young portobello mushroom, discard the stems, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 poblano chili pepper, diced
- 1 habanero chili pepper, very finely diced
- 2 tbsp cayenne
- 2 tbsp ground paprika
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp dried, chopped mint leaves
- 1 tsp dried, chopped basil
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 3-4 tbsp dried, chopped oregano
- 1 tbsp powdered beef bouillon
- 1 tbsp powdered chicken bouillon
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp hickory smoke flavor
- 1 tbsp Heinz 57 sauce
- 1 tbsp Heinz A-1 sauce
- 2-4 tbsp brown sugar (to taste)
- 1 tsp vinegar (white, or basil)
- Additional brown sugar to taste
- 1 cup Colby cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- Sear the onion, garlic, and bell peppers before placing in crock pot — don’t cook them fully
- Toss the habanero into the crock pot raw.
- Prepare the remainder of the vegetables as shown above and place in bottom of 4-6 qt. crock pot.
- Add the 2 cans of kidney beans, draining one of the two
- Turn crock pot on LOW.
- Combine meat, spices, and hickory smoke. Brown in skillet with olive oil until all pink in the meat is gone, and drain fat before adding to crock pot.
- Deglaze pan with a little water or wine and add to crock pot.
- Finally, add your tomato paste and picante/chipotle sauce last.
- Cover crock pot. After an hour or two stir contents once.
- Leave covered for 7-10 hours.
- In the last hour, add vinegar as flavor enhancer. At this time add more brown sugar to taste.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve with grated cheese and chilled sour cream.
Images and cooking tips over at Guyism, where this was found.