According to multiple reports, Coach Dana Holgorsen has finalized and revealed his coaching staff's responsibilities, which will include some shuffling around of previous staff members. Here is the full breakdown:
- Shannon Dawson - elevated to position of Offensive Coordinator, will coach all receivers
- Robert Gillespie - no change, will handle running backs
- Jake Spavital - no change, will handle quarterbacks
- Bill Bedenbaugh - no change, offensive line coach
- Daron Roberts - will move to defense, coaching cornerbacks
- Erik Slaughter - defensive line coach
- Keith Patterson - Co-Defensive Coordinator, linebackers coach
- Joe DeForest - Co-Defensive Coordinator, safeties coach
- Steve Dunlap - Asst. Head Coach, Special Teams Coordinator, will help with outside linebackers
- Ryan Dorchester - Recruiting Coordinator
Coach Dawson's role is expected to be much the same as last year, but with the added title and further responsibilities to oversee the entire receiving corps. Coach Holgorsen will still have final say on play calls.
With the various reports that have come out before today, most of these moves were expected on the defensive side, but with several somewhat surprises as well. Many people thought Coach Roberts would make the switch to defense. What was surprising was that, given his background, Coach DeForest will not be in charge of Special Teams. BGN is reporting that in Coach Dunlap's case, he will work with the other coaches on individual units, but with ultimate responsibility lying on his shoulders.
Ryan Dorchester's position is a promotion from a Graduate Assistant role to that of a full paid staff (non-coaching) member after working with Director of Football Operations Alex Hammond last season.
There you have it. Your 2012 Mountaineer Football Coaching staff. Whatya think?