While our final grades will come this Wednesday, here are my initial thoughts on yesterday's game:
- Mountaineer Mantrip was a success. There is room for improvement (mainly on the fans part) but this was a good start.
- Initial reports of beer sales being less than anticipated due to the heat. Even so, I think the concerns voiced in the off-season were overblown.
- Weirdest game I've ever sat through, weather-wise.
- Geno looked as poised as ever, even when flushed from the pocket.
- Offensive line still has room for improvement, but no longer appear to be "soft" as a former Mountaineer lineman said to me yesterday.
- In conjunction with the line play, the running game is a work in progress, but flashes were there.
- Defense may not be as good as last year, but still extremely solid...with many youngsters playing.
- Special teams coverage looked solid, except for one time and that one time killed them.
- Return game looks to be improved. Tavon could score several more here this year.
- Kicking game was solid as Smith had a couple real nice punts and Bitancurt hit all of his kicks.
Overall, I thought it was a good effort for the first game. There is plenty of room for improvement and I'm glad there are still two more games to get things corrected before LSU comes to town. All of the media coverage I could dig up is after the jump.
Recaps and Features:
Football: Joint University Statement - MSNsportsNET.Com
A joint statement by West Virginia University Director of Athletics Oliver Luck and Marshall University Athletic Director Mike Hamrick:
No. 24 W. Virginia gets best of Marshall in storm-shortened opener - ESPN
Recap, stats, video, etc
Lightning Strikes; Herd Loses Thunder - WVMETRONEWS.COM
Recap, gallery and audio of HCDH's post game presser
Taken by storm - Charleston Gazette
WVU's 34-13 win over Marshall comes after long lightning delays; plug pulled early in 4th quarter
Fans Mixed On Beer At Milan Pusker Stadium (Video) - WVMETRONEWS.COM
The fans had mixed reviews on selling alcohol at a college event. Some people feel it gives Milan Puskar Stadium and professional feel and some feel it's taking away from the college atmosphere.
Dana Holgorsen - MSNsportsNET.Com
West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen's postgame remarks following Sunday's 34-13 win over Marshall.
Video: Marshall Postgame - BGN
HCDH, Barclay, Goode and Geno
Linebacker Najee Goode - MSNsportsNET.Com
Najee Goode's postgame comments following Sunday's 34-13 win over Marshall.
Sights And Sounds: Mountaineer Mantrip - WVMETRONEWS.COM
gallery and video