With almost two weeks of practice in the books, the NFL preseason began last night with the Philadelphia Eagles (and Owen Schmitt) taking on the Baltimore Ravens. In this latest WVU's Where Are They Now? edition, we will see how former Mountaineers are faring in training camps. I'll tell you how Schmitt performed last night. Give you a preview of this weekend's NFL action involving Mountaineers. We check on who is making noise? Who is injured? Who is not making the grade? and more.
First, about last night:
Owen Schmitt- Reports were very high about Schmitt's performance in camp thus far leading up to last night's game against the Ravens. Reports said that Schmitt has been a beast while blocking defenders and has been very strong in blitz pickup. Last night, the Eagles starters didn't play for long. Schmitt had one carry for six yards in the Eagles 13-6 victory.
Before I get to the training camp updates, I do have something I've heard about Noel Devine and his next landing spot.
Noel Devine UFA- I'm hearing that Devine, after getting waived by the Philadelphia Eagles, is on the verge of signing with a team in the UFL. Could he and Pat White reunite in Virginia?
Steve Slaton- Slaton became the third running back for the Texans to suffer a hamstring injury. Coach Gary Kubiak said that Slaton "tweaked the hamstring," but doesn't expect that it is too serious. He may be held out of this weekend's action to rest.
Chris Neild & Selvish Capers- On the initial depth chart released by the Redskins, both Capers and Neild are listed as third-stringers. Reports say that Capers has struggled this week trying to play two different positions.
Jarrett Brown- Brown has impressed Brown's GM, Pat Shurmur in camp thus far. But, will that stop the Brown's from taking former Ohio St. QB, Terrelle Pryor, in the NFL's Supplemental Draft if he's eligible? If the Browns do, then there might not be room on the roster for both Brown and Pryor.
New England Patriots
Anthony Leonard- Leonard was cut by the Patriots. Shortly after being signed, the Pats put Leonard on the injured list with a leg injury.
Darius Reynaud- Reynaud has been a surprise in Giants training camp. With the departure of Steve Smith to the Eagles, there is more opportunity for Reynaud to contribute to the Giants' offense. Last season, he was thrown in at kick returner after coming over in a trade from the Minnesota Vikings and spent time at kick returner. He wasn't able to learn the offense well enough to be able to contribute at WR. He spent time in the offseason practicing with QB, Eli Manning, and it has shown thus far in camp. He talks about his drive and growth in this video from NJ.com:
J.T. Thomas- Thomas had a hip injury which could keep him sidelined for a little while. The Sporting News notes that Thomas has been one of the most impressive young players in Bears camp.
Weekend NFL Schedule Involving Former Mountaineers
Friday Aug. 12
- Cincinnati Bengals at Detroit Lions 7:30 Notes: Look for Robert Sands to see plenty of action.
- Pittsburgh Steelers at Washington Redskins 7:30 Notes: Look to see if Wes Lyons get's action with the Steelers' starters.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Kansas City Chiefs 8:00 Notes: Look for Jock Sanders at kick and punt returner.
Saturday Aug. 13
- N.Y. Giants at Carolina Panthers 8:00 Notes: See if Darius Reynaud continues to impress. Brandon Hogan still out with ACL.
- Green Bay Packers at Cleveland Browns 7:30 Notes: Jarrett Brown should see action at QB during the 2nd half.
- Buffalo Bills at Chicago Bears 8:00 Notes: J.T. Thomas may not play. Look for Corey McIntyre to bust some heads.
- Indianapolis Colts at St. Louis Rams 8:00 Notes: Let's see if Pat McAfee has a chance to try a 75-yard FG.
Monday Aug. 15
- N.Y. Jets at Houston Texans 8:00 Notes: Steve Slaton may not play (hamstring). Scooter Berry should see time at DT during the 2nd half for Houston. Ellis Lankster should see plenty of time for N.Y.