Cleaning out a crowded notebook and a cluttered mind (or in other words, an idea stolen from Dave Hickman):
- While Charley West's candidacy is certainly looking up, Craig Walker still has a stranglehold on the not-so-soon-to-be vacant AD position. Jack Bogaczyk -- who I like more than Dave Hickman simply because I'm bitter that I can't grow a sweet goatee -- hit the nail on the head today about Walker's chances in 2010. By then, this Bresch scandal will just be a fond memory for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Unless, of course, President Garrison continues to cause trouble, either by handing out bogus degrees, negotiating another 7 year contract to play Marshall, or getting caught with a transvestite prostitute. Though I'm not sure which of those is more likely to get you fired.
- Recruiting, which is like porn to me in the offseason, is still just kicking ass. According to Scout.com, we currently have signed one 5 star, two 4 stars, three 3 stars, and the best named prospect in America (Branko Brusic -- I might be making that last part up, but what an awesome name). Seriously, how great is it to be finally reaping the benefits of a top 10 program on the recruiting trail? It probably helps to have Doc Holliday as recruiting coordinator -- instead of Tony Gibson, who on an intelligence level ranks well behind both Holliday, the tricycle-riding bear at the circus, and the gum that stuck to my shoe earlier today.
- It's been years too long, but thank goodness were are finally going to be seeing a new basketball court in the Coliseum. WVU, always one to get in right at the end of bad trends (see: batwings and football uniforms), has just had a monstrosity of a court. Luckily, that will change this year. My vote is for something simply and understated, like this (minus the silly tiger logos):
- Either that or a mural of naked chicks.
- Speaking of classing up the joint, how about we do something at Mountaineer Field to at least make it look like the school is trying to honor the past. The Sam Huff retired number display is one of the more embarrassing sights I have ever seen. Why not spend more than $20 and go some place other than Michael's Arts and Crafts to get it done. If it were me, we would have his name and jersey number on the face of the upperdeck tomorrow. That and the logos for each bowl game on the walls surrounding the field. It's not like either of these things would break the bank, either.
- And lastly, I will be attending a party this weekend that involves pony rides. The odds of this ending well are not good.