One of my favorite childhood memories is prior to the 1988 football season. It was from there a much younger and slimmer Beano Cook, surrounded by a couple WVU cheerleaders, predicted an undefeated season for the Mountaineers.
So what does this have to do with anything?
Well, while Beano won't predict an undefeated season for West Virginia, I am.
Yes, it's true I'm a bit of a homer, but I firmly believe the pieces are in place for a magical year.
Here are 10 reasons why I think WVU goes 12-0:
1. Pat White
2. Steve Slaton
(Those are TWO pretty big reasons, but lets continue)
3. Their toughest opponent comes to Mountaineer Field, plus it's a night game
4. The improved speed on defense
5. Outstanding special teams
6. Rita Rodriguez has finally been given a bigger role in the program
7. The team learned last year they can't afford to 'take a game off' (see South Florida)
8. Rich Rodriguez
9. A talented freshman class that should be producing by mid season
10. Pat White and Steve Slaton
As we learned over the past two years, White and Slaton are two special talents. Last year, they lacked the pieces around them to get over the hump. This year will be different. Between Devine, Hogan, Sanders on offense and Mundy, Thomas, Lankster, etc on defense, this team will be playing in the BCS Championship Game.
So what's left? One thing.
Does anybody know of a good hotel on Bourbon Street?