USA TODAY Sports
Smitty is taking the afternoon off to go see a Sanford and Sons concert tonight (or whatever it is that the kids are listening to these days), so it's up to me to preview tonight's game.
Game Day Vitals
- West Virginia Mountaineers (12-11, Big XII 5-5) @ Baylor Bears(15-8, Big XII 6-4)
- Series Record - Baylor 1-0, 83-81 OT in 2011 Las Vegas Classic
- Location - Ferrell Center (Capacity: 10,284) Waco, Texas
- Vegas Lines - Baylor (-8)
- Date - February 13th, 2013 at 9:00 pm ET
- Television - ESPN2 / ESPN3 / WatchESPN
- O/U on mentions of Huggs's attire - 1.5
- O/U on mentions of WVU's travel issues - 3.5
- Radio Affiliates
- Baylor Bears (15-8, Big XII 6-4)
Head Coach - Scott Drew, 10th year as BU head coach (157-124), 11th year overall (177-135)
- O/U on mentions of brother Bryce's game winner vs. Ole Miss in 1998 - 0.5
- Last Result - Win vs. Texas Tech, 75-48
- Official Baylor Bears athletics website
- SBN Baylor blog - Our Daily Bears
While WVU has been feeding off of the (state of) Texas Big 12 bottom feeders lately and running themselves a nice three game winning streak, Baylor is one bottom-feeder-victory removed from a three game losing streak. Baylor took out their frustrations on Texas Tech their last game out and look to continue that trend against our Mountaineers.
Baylor is stingy on defense, leading the league with in scoring defense (60.8), rebounding (40.8), FG% defense (37.6), 3-point FG defense (22.3), scoring margin (+8.5), offensive rebounding (13.2) and defensive rebounding (27.6). They also have a go-to scorer in Pierre Jackson, who averages 18.6 points per game and has scored in double figures for 30 straight games.
If the Mountaineers can continue their recent success shooting the ball, we have a chance. It looks as though the team that wins the rebounding and 3-point battle has the best chance to come away with a victory tonight. A win tonight is almost essential for WVU to keep their bubble and 6th place league standing (and subsequent first round league tournament bye) hopes alive.