Welcome, By-Godders, to the Shotgun/Throwdown, WVU's nationally recognized best place for sports links, information, sophomoric humor and daily distractions. We're being brought to you today by Bud Light, for tomorrow's tailgate.
What You May Have Missed:
Film Breakdown: Geno Smith vs Baylor & Maryland - SBNation.com
The West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith has been grabbing the college football spotlight of late with the insane numbers he's putting up. But how good of a draft prospect is he?
Women's Soccer Blanks Oklahoma - WVU Athletics
Despite heavy rain and chilly temperatures, the No. 19 West Virginia women’s soccer team scored a pair of second-half goals to defeat visiting Oklahoma, 2-0, Thursday evening at Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium.
Mel Kiper Answers WVUPros' Question About Tavon Austin on ESPNU - WVU Pros
We asked ESPN's NFL Draft guru a question about Tavon Austin. He answered it on ESPNU's College Football Live hosted by Dari Nowkhah.
News of Note:
Mountaineers, Wildcats set to face off in game with Big 12 title implications - Daily Athenaeum
When the dust settles in Morgantown after No. 4 Kansas State (6-0, 3-0) and No. 13 West Virginia (5-1, 2-1) face off Saturday night, the race for the Heisman Trophy and the road to the Big 12 championship should be much clearer.
Kansas State vs. West Virginia: Bill Snyder's Rope-a-Dope could claim another victim - SBNation.com
Whereas Bill Snyder's late-1990s KSU teams intimidated you and blew you off of the field with an impenetrable defense and unlimited big plays on offense and special teams, the current team plays Rope-a-Dope. And it works.
K-State's Klein vs. WVU's Smith: Heisman battle 'can't-miss TV' - Topeka Capital Journal
Saturday's showdown in Morgantown a big opportunity for Heisman front-runners
Kansas State goes to West Virginia with road map from 1990s - Dallas-Fort Worth Star Telegram
Dana Holgorsen isn't surprised to see Kansas State at the top of the Big 12 standings and on the short list of national championship contenders.
Video: Kansas State-West Virginia preview - Big 12 Blog - ESPN
Kansas State looks to remain as the last unbeaten in the conference when the Wildcats travel to Morgantown on Saturday night.
Video: Game of the Week -- Big 12 - Big 12 Blog - ESPN
David Ubben offers a longer look inside Kansas State's showdown against West Virginia.
Podcast: 'Cats-Mountaineers preview - Big 12 Blog - ESPN
Ivan Maisel talks to David Ubben about Kansas State and West Virginia. Plus, Mitch Sherman discusses how Bill Snyder has built his program in Manhattan.
West Virginia looks to solve offensive woes - Big 12 Blog - ESPN
The frustration was obvious, and clear with every fist pound into the Lubbock turf after a dropped pass or failed fourth-down conversion in Saturday's lopsided loss to Texas Tech.
WVU offense looking for bounce-back - Times West Virginian
“Everybody is talking about why and a lot of it in my opinion is just excuses.
Rowell is confident, has better grasp on defense - Charleston Daily Mail
"We haven't allowed one player playing us to reach 100 yards individually yet," said the 6-foot-4, 310-pound Rowell.
HERTZEL COLUMN: Too early to judge WVU’s D.C. - Times West Virginian
Winning, you see, cures all evils, and so it was at WVU, even though after beating Baylor while allowing 63 points one of the WVU defenders — safety Darwin Cook — admitted, “I feel like we just lost.”
Multiplicity - BGN
This past offseason, it was tough to get a clear idea of what scheme West Virginia's new defensive coaches planned to install. Yes, it was to be a 3-4, but it would be "a hybrid" and "multiple." The reason? Games like Saturday's against Kansas State.
Return to the Single-Wing Days - WVMETRONEWS.COM
In 25 years of coaching, West Virginia's Keith Patterson said he's never faced the breed of rushing attack Kansas State will bring into Morgantown on Saturday.
A different sort of problem - Charleston Gazette
WVU needs to shut down K-State ground game
With versatile Klein, K-State offense attacks from the ground up - Charleston Gazette
K-State does not figure to put up huge numbers through the air
Mountaineers want K-State to air it out - Charleston Daily Mail
Make 'em win by throwin' it.
Time to Rally - WVU Athletics
Holgorsen got his team refocused last year. Can he do it again?
Running game may be WVU’s key to get back on track - Register-Herald
In their four losses over the last two seasons, WVU has averaged just over 98 yards rushing.
Opposing view: K-State writer Kellis Robinett - WVMETRONEWS.COM
Today we're joined by Kellis Robinett of The Kansas City Star and The Wichita Eagle
Busy week for recruits visiting Motown - Charleston Gazette
WVU currently has 15 commitments for the 2013 class. Scout.com ranks the Mountaineer class No. 34 nationally.
Around the League (and Beyond):
South Carolina-Florida, Kansas State-WVU headline Week 8 Pickoff - Stewart Mandel - SI.com
He picked us, which I'm not sure I like
College GameDay Kickoff: Week 8 preview - ESPN
One week you're the toast of the town; the next you're roasted on Twitter. How teams like South Carolina and West Virginia respond will define their seasons.
What's On Tap:
Gold-Blue Debut Friday - WVU Athletics
West Virginia University will tip off the 2012-13 men’s basketball season with the Gold-Blue Debut presented by Coke Zero on Friday, Oct. 19, at 7:30 p.m., at the WVU Coliseum. Admission to the event is free with gates opening at 6:30 p.m.
All game times listed below are Eastern Time on October 20th.
(4) Kansas State Wildcats vs. (13) West Virginia Mountaineers - Preview - ESPN
7 pm from Milan Puskar Stadium on Fox. Mountaineers are giving 2.5.
(24) Iowa State Cyclones vs. Oklahoma State Cowboys - ESPN
Noon from Boone Pickens Stadium on FX. Pokes are giving 14.5.
(17) Texas Tech Red Raiders vs. (23) TCU Horned Frogs - Preview - ESPN
3:30 pm from Amon G. Carter Stadium on ABC/ESPN2. Frogs are getting 2.
Kansas Jayhawks vs. (9) Oklahoma Sooners - Preview - ESPN
7 pm from Oklahoma Memorial Stadium on FSN affiliates. Sooners are giving 35.
Baylor Bears vs. (25) Texas Longhorns - ESPN
8 pm from DKR on ABC/ESPN3. Horns are giving 8.5.
Video of Interest:
If you're a WVU fan and this doesn't give you chills, check your pulse:
Tailgate Recipes of the Week:
Kansas City Ribs (I know Kansas City is mainly in MO, not the point)
- 1/3 cup(s) packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoon(s) sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoon(s) mustard powder
- teaspoon(s) celery seed
- teaspoon(s) onion powder
- teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- teaspoon(s) chipotle chile powder
- 4 rack(s) (2 to 2 1/2 pounds each) St. Louis-style pork ribs
- 2 cup(s) boiling water
- 1 can(s) (28-ounce) tomato puree
- cup(s) packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup(s) cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup(s) tomato paste
- 3 tablespoon(s) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon(s) mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) chipotle chile powder
- teaspoon(s) ground allspice
- Pepper, to taste
- cup(s) hot water
- Prepare Ribs: In large bowl, combine sugar, paprika, mustard, celery seed, onion powder, garlic powder, chipotle chile powder, and 1 tablespoon salt. In 2 large (17" by 13") roasting pans, place ribs. Rub spice mixture all over ribs; arrange ribs overlapping in pans. Cover pans and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
- Prepare Sauce: In 4-quart saucepan, combine tomato puree, sugar, vinegar, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, chipotle chile powder, allspice, and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Heat to boiling on high, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover partially and simmer 45 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Cool completely in pan. Pour 1 1/4 cups sauce into serving bowl and stir in hot water; reserve.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Uncover ribs and add 1 cup boiling water to each pan. Cover pans tightly with foil. Bake 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 45 minutes or until tender. Uncover ribs and transfer to large serving platter.
- Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling on medium. Place ribs on hot grill grate, bone side down, and cook 2 minutes. Brush with sauce in pan and turn ribs over; cook 5 minutes. Repeat brushing and turning 2 more times, cooking ribs an additional 10 minutes.
- Cut racks into single-rib portions and arrange on platter. Serve immediately with reserved sauce.
Recipe reprinted from GoodHousekeeping.com
Video of (Dis)Interest:
Today's Miss Throwdown is one of my all time favorite British tabloid models. CLICK HERE for today's gallery of Lucy Pinder.