Welcome, By-Godders, to the Shotgun/Throwdown, WVU's nationally recognized best place for sports links, information, sophomoric humor and daily distractions. We're being brought to you today by Schlitz.
I freely admit this game is not remotely on the level of the Backyard Brawl or even the Battle for the Black Diamond Trophy, but it is a border war. A little border war is good for the football soul, at least once a year. Everybody is talking about the two-headed turtle QB situation, including us. But, Maryland's defense has improved (over previous editions, if nothing else). I'm honestly leery of this game. Maybe I shouldn't be, but I am. The OL still scares me. If you have any tips, suggestions or requests, you can send them to me by email or Twitter. Don't forget to come back for the Sunday Hangover. Have a great weekend and enjoy the game. The Jumpty dance is your chance...do the jump...
What You May Have Missed:
West Virginia Blog Q and A - Turtledroppings.com
Our own Country Roads answers a few
Women’s Soccer: Pitt Match Postponed - MSNsportsNET.Com
West Virginia’s women’s soccer match with Pitt Thursday night at Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium, played for 47 minutes, has been postponed due to heavy lightning.
BIG EAST and ESPN Announce Big Monday Schedule - WVillustrated.com
WVU gets 2 Big Monday dates: Feb 7 vs. Pitt and Feb 14 @ Syracuse
Joan Renee Kirby: A fan to the end, and beyond - 'Eers to the Ground
You gotta read this to believe it
News of Note:
Opening WVU's pass attack, Gardner and Sam-I-Am - Charleston Gazette
WVU offensive line starting to come together - Charleston Daily Mail
OK Mike, convince me
Friedgen Discusses his Upcoming Game against WVU - WVillustrated.com
The Drives - Mountaineer TV
The only minute-thirty worth watching from last week
Around the League (and Beyond):
Bearcats still not right - Cincinnati Enquirer
Wolfpack romp past UC 30-19
Catching up with Louisville QB Adam Froman - ESPN
Does anyone know if he's related to Abe?
Former Card Covington shot and killed - Card Chronicle
Truly sad news
What's On Tap:
All times given are Eastern Daylight Time.
Maryland Terrapins vs. (21) West Virginia Mountaineers - ESPN
Noon Saturday from Morgantown on ESPNU. Mountaineers are giving 10.
Connecticut Huskies vs. Temple Owls - ESPN
Noon Saturday from the Linc in Philly on ESPN3, MASN and SNY. Huskies are giving 6.5.
Louisville Cardinals vs. (25) Oregon State Beavers -ESPN
5:30 pm from Corvallis, OR, on nothing. Beavers are giving 20.
Maine Black Bears vs. Syracuse Orange - ESPN
7:15 pm from the Dome on ESPN3. Orange are giving 22.
Videos of Interest:
Tailgate Recipe of the Week:
As I said yesterday, we will have one of these at our tailgate tomorrow. I can hear 5YS's arteries clogging from here already.
Image and recipe via www.bbqaddicts.com
Time: About 3 hours
2 pounds thick-cut sliced bacon
1 1/2 pounds Italian sausage, casings removed
3 tablespoons barbecue rub
3/4 cup barbecue sauce.
1. Using 10 slices of bacon, weave a square lattice like that on top of a pie: first, place 5 bacon slices side by side on a large sheet of aluminum foil, parallel to one another, sides touching. Place another strip of bacon on one end, perpendicular to the other strips. Fold first, third and fifth bacon strips back over this new strip, then place another strip next to it, parallel to it. Unfold first, third and fifth strips; fold back second and fourth strips. Repeat with remaining bacon until all 10 strips are tightly woven.
2. Preheat oven to 225 degrees or light a fire in an outdoor smoker. Place remaining bacon in a frying pan and cook until crisp. As it cooks, sprinkle bacon weave with 1 tablespoon barbecue rub. Evenly spread sausage on top of bacon lattice, pressing to outer edges.
3. Crumble fried bacon into bite-size pieces. Sprinkle on top of sausage. Drizzle with 1/2 cup barbecue sauce and sprinkle with another tablespoon barbecue rub.
4. Very carefully separate front edge of sausage layer from bacon weave and begin rolling sausage away from you. Bacon weave should stay where it was, flat. Press sausage roll to remove any air pockets and pinch together seams and ends.
5. Roll sausage toward you, this time with bacon weave, until it is completely wrapped. Turn it so seam faces down. Roll should be about 2 to 3 inches thick. Sprinkle with remaining barbecue rub.
6. Place roll on a baking sheet in oven or in smoker. Cook until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees on a meat thermometer, about 1 hour for each inch of thickness. When done, glaze roll with more sauce. To serve, slice into 1/4 to 1/2-inch rounds.
Yield: 10 or more servings.
Video of (Dis)Interest:
Is this Kenny Powers or Randy Moss? Close your eyes and listen (Charley gets credit for that comparison).
College Girls in Vegas Gallery of the Week:
I realize it's a picture of Holly Madison here, but, really, that's splitting hairs at this point. That's who they used as their banner.
Today's Miss Throwdown is a previous honoree in this place. She's a Russian supermodel who's done work for Armani Exchange, LaPerla, Lacoste, and Guess, to name a few. But, she's most well known for her work in SI's Swimsuit Edition. Here's Irina Shayk.
Schlitz image via www.totalpackers.com