Welcome, By-Godders, to the Colorado game day edition of the Shotgun/Throwdown. Today, we're sponsored by the Silver Bullet, Coors Light, twice appropriate; originating from Golden, Colorado.
It's not my beer of choice by a long shot, so I say we load the musket with a silver bullet and put it right between Ralphie's eyes. I kid, I kid. I don't want some CU fan to think I'm serious. It's the first of October and it's game day, Mountaineers. Tonight is Gold Rush, we're bringing back the old chant and spending time with America's favorite sideline reporter. So, put on your gold shirts and get your tailgate on. I'll be on the scene in Touchdown City in 7 hours. Hope to see you all there.
Remember, people, I work for tips. Friday's show will probably be a little later than usual, due to tonight's game. (If anyone saw the 5 second sneak preview last night, let me know in the comments below) I got articles by Daily Mail guys in the Gazette and vice-versa. So sit down, strap in and hold on..this one is a biggy. On with the program...
What You May Have Missed:
West Virginia Looks to Find Their Seventh Consecutive Thursday Night Victory at Home - wvillustrated.com
If anyone wants to introduce me to this writer, it would be greatly appreciated.
News of Note:
Midweek Notes - MSNsportsNET.Com
West Virginia player understands real battle - PPG
Our war veteran walk-on, Bryan Logsdon from Berkeley Springs, WV, is profiled.
In matchups, Mountaineers win - Charleston Daily Mail
Vingle's in the DM.
Colorado open to all dates in effort to rebuild - Charleston Daily Mail
and so is Hickman.
One player often makes the difference - The Charleston Gazette
Casazza is in the Gazette today.
WVU adds variety to offensive attack - The Charleston Gazette
...and so is Jack. My world is upside down today!!!
WVU defense tries to patch holes - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
"After being gashed for 41 points against Auburn, West Virginia's 3-3-5 stack defense is doing more breaking than bending."
And here's a couple BB tidbits:
What's On Tap:
WVU Athletics to Honor Major Harris - MSNsportsNET.Com
Luncheon with the Major today, 12:30 at the Waterfront Hotel.
Colorado Buffaloes vs. West Virginia Mountaineers - ESPN
Tonight at 7:30 on the Worldwide Leader. Current line is WVU by 17.
Maryland Linebacker Gloster Commits to WVU - eersports.com
As reported earlier by Country Roads. This article includes a highlight video.
Texas dual-threat quarterback Johnson felt at home at WVU - Charleston Daily Mail
Here's a story about our other QB commitment.
Around the League (and Beyond):
The Kragstache - Card Chronicle
I think the heading speaks for itself.
Fight The Carrier Dome Beer Policy Menace - Troy Nunes Is An Absolute Magician
They can buy beer at the stadium and are bitching about a limit per trip to the stand!?!?!?
Tailgate Recipe of the Week:
BBQ Texas Beef Brisket (makes 6 to 8 servings)
- 1 - cup vegetable oil
- 1 - cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 - cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 - bay leaf, crumbled
- 1-1/4 - teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2-1/4 - teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 - teaspoon paprika
- 1 - beef brisket, trimmed (about 3 pounds)
- 3 - cup Barbecue Sauce (your choice)
- Fresh cilantro springs
- Grilled red onions
- In a shallow dish or large zip-lock plastic bag, mix the oil, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and bay leaf.
- In a small bowl, add the salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Next, rub the mixture into the brisket. Then add the brisket to the marinade.
- Cover or seal the dish or bag and place in refrigerator and chill for 8 hours. Occasionally turn the meat.
When the meat is ready, prepare the grill to medium to high heat.
- For a gas grill, add in front either 2 pieces of oak or 10 hickory chunks. If using a charcoal grill, place the coals in the center.
- Take the brisket from the marinade and for safety, discard the marinade. Move the white-hot coals to one side of the grill.
- Place my meat on the other side. Pull down the cover and using indirect heat, cook the meat for 3 to 4 hours.
- Then brush the brisket with 1-cup of barbecue sauce and cook for another hour. During the cooking time, baste with additional barbecue sauce.
- When ready, to serve the brisket with the remaining barbecue sauce. Garnish the meat with cilantro and grilled onions.
Tailgate Novelty of the Week:
For us beer shotgunners, here's a tool that looks worth having. I'm gonna try mine this evening. You can get 'em online or at your local Spencer's Gifts.
Video of (Dis)Interest:
To quote the great Yogi Berra, "It ain't over 'til it's over." The vid lists at over 4 minutes, but you only need to see the first half. I've auto-marked it to start at the main point of emphasis, but you can rewind it if you wish.
PSA Video of the Day:
Breast Cancer Awareness Month starts today and here at The Smoking Musket, we like to do our part to raise awareness.
The video is all in fun but in all seriousness, support breast cancer research at the National Breast Cancer Foundation.
Gameday Bonus Gallery "Best Celebrity Boobs of the Last Decade":
I have to agree with the guy from Filmdrunk (where I found this), anybody who lists Carmen Electra
For some girls, it's extremely hard to find pictures of them with their clothes on. Sadly, I've never met any of them. Today's Miss Throwdown falls into such a category. Another busty Brit, what can I say? A close doppelganger of previous Miss Throwdown, Lucy Pinder, meet the always delicious...Keeley Hazell. (Somehow, the vids ARE SFW)